198:
Caregiver Perceptions of Epinephrine Autoinjector Training
Saturday, March 3, 2018
South Hall A2 (Convention Center)
Gretchen A. Harmon, MD, Magee L. DeFelice, MD
RATIONALE: Epinephrine autoinjectors (EAI) are life-saving devices, however, many caregivers have reported unease with their use. Teaching for EAI use may vary by clinician and treatment setting. The goal of this study is to assess the caregiver perspective regarding epinephrine autoinjectors at a large pediatric referral center.

METHODS: An 8 question anonymous survey was provided at the start of allergy clinic visits to caregivers of children previously prescribed an EAI. Data pertaining to caregivers’ level of comfort with the EAI, recollection of previous teaching, and attitudes toward teaching were collected over a 2-week period.

RESULTS: Thirty surveys were completed. Ninety-seven percent of respondents stated that they had been taught how to use their autoinjector, and 60% were "very confident" in its use. The remaining 40% were "somewhat confident." No caregiver reported being "not at all confident." The caregiver preferred (73%) method for obtaining information about EAI was via one-on-one instruction in the allergy clinic. Written materials were preferred by 17% of respondents. Video and mobile device applications were the least preferred. Only 17% reported that they had administered the device previously.

CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study are in contrast to previously reported information. The possibility exists that our sample is skewed, the respondents are not accurately assessing their capabilities, or, currently unrecognized factors have improved the quality of teaching at this site. Next steps will include additional data collection and the objective evaluation of teaching methods utilizing adult learning theory.